The new Rockford Fosgate’s PBR500X1 mono amp packs a wallop for such a small design. It’s literally the size of your hand, and it can drive up to 500 watts RMS into a 1-ohm load, letting you power multiple subs to get more bass. It has proprietary Boosted Rail (BR) amp technology, which uses capacitors and high-speed circuitry to boost the amp’s power supply voltage when needed. This way, it can handle massive musical peaks.
With Rockford Fosgate’s PEQ wired remote, you can control the subwoofer impact from your front seat. The amp also features speaker-level inputs with signal-sensing turn-on, allowing you to connect into almost any system without having to run a turn-on lead back to the receiver. An extruded aluminum heat sink combines with Rockford Fosgate’s heat management technology for cooling purposes.
“The PBR500X1 Punch amplifier has been designed for systems that require little space,” explained Theresa Hephner, Rockford senior director, products and marketing. “Our patented BRT (Boosted Rail Technology) is an ultra efficient design that doesn’t use a switching power supply to generate its rated power, which allows for a smaller chassis. The BRT also has a variable hi-level DC offset turn-on circuit for easy installation into any OEM system. It’s great for smaller stealth installations, as well as for motorcycles and recreational vehicles.”
We installed this along with the PEQ Equalization remote, and put it through the mill with a wide variety of tunes. The PEQ remote is vital for fine tune adjustments. The PBR500X1 rocks, and the boosted rail technology gives it that extra power, which rivals much larger and higher-rated amps. It can handle both high level and RCA level inputs, and it features every adjustment you’d require including “band pass” and “gain” to optimize bass.
The Rockford Fosgate Punch PBR500X1 Amp runs around $350, depending where you purchase, but it is a very good amp for the money, and its size affords it many places to fit…..even a motorcycle.
Check out the specs:
- mono subwoofer amplifier
- 175 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
- 500 watts RMS x 1 at 1 ohm
- CEA-2006 compliant
- Boosted Rail amp technology
- Dynamic Thermal Management cooling system
- variable low-pass filter (35-250 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- differential-balanced inputs eliminate noise from your vehicle’s electrical system
- preamp and speaker-level inputs
- optional wired remote bass boost (0-18 dB at 45 Hz)
- 8-gauge power and ground leads and an 80-amp fuse recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- no onboard fuses — when installing multiple amps in a system, an additional 80-amp in-line fuse between the distribution block and the amplifier is recommended
- 8-5/8″W x 1-9/16″H x 4-1/4″D
….and check out the video review by 12voltreviews.com