DxO Labs is best known for their DxO Optics Pro lens software, but the company has many other programs worthy of equal notoriety. DxO FilmPack 4 is the latest of these, a standalone app which can also be used as a plug-in for Photoshop. The function of the program is relatively simple, to reproduce the look and style of both color and black and white films, as well as some additional darkroom effects. Whether you’re a casual shooter who has been swooned by Instagram and iPhone filters, or a professional photographer looking for ways to add more style to your shots, DxO FilmPack 4 provides a quick and easy solution without the need of extensive and time consuming processing.
When you first load DxO FilmPack a sample image will load, along with a range of presets already set as favorites, as identified by their star marking. From here you can quickly try out and get a feel for a few of the numerous presets provided in DxO FilmPack. Presets are grouped into color slide film, color negative film, black and white film, designer presets and custom presets. After playing around with the default favorites it’s time to move on to the full catalog and select your own favorites. You can remove any of the default favorites by clicking the star on the preset thumbnail.
Along the top of the screen is a toolbar which has numerous options. The first sets include what you would expect from most programs, open, save, print however tucked away beside these is also an export to Facebook button, to satisfy the needs of the Instagram crowd and let you easily share your images via your Facebook page. In the next group you can change the view between a single view, split preview or side-by-side preview. Next are tools for zooming in, moving around your image, cropping and rotating. You then come to three extra options: frames, textures, and simulated light leaks. Light leaks are another casualty of the digital age, caused accidental exposure of film to light they weren’t traditionally done on purpose. This effect produces areas of overexposure or color saturation in the form of lines that are parallel to the edges of the image which helps to add a feeling of legitimacy to the simulated film look.
DxO FilmPack Expert 4 Features
- Huge library of Film Looks to choose from.
- Designer presets – vintage effects, aged photos and tints
- Film grain – add grain to your digital photos to restore all the authenticity of an analog film
- Denoising tool – reduce the digital noise in your images
- Toning, color filters, textures, light leaks, frames, creative vignetting and creative blur vignetting effects
- Advanced settings – black & white control, color control (hue / saturation / luminance)
- Tone curve – adjust the tones, contrasts and luminosity of your images
- Vibrancy – apply intelligent saturation to your images
- Contrast – boost the local contrast
- Cropping – adjust the final size and composition of your image
- Batch processing
The fourth version of DxO FilmPack is a fun piece of software that does a great job at giving your pictures a unique look. We were pleased that its not just a bunch of filters thrown into a package, but also included many options for further editing your photos. If you’re a fan of the the retro film style look, you’ll really enjoy DxO FilmPack 4.